Updates From Guyana Following the Death of President Jagan
Thursday, March 06, 1997
- Guyana's Ambassador to the USA, Odeen Ishmael will perform his official duty
tomorrow and return the body of our fallen leader Dr. Cheddi Jagan, to his native
- Dr. Jagan's body will be flown from Andrew's Air Force Base in Maryland to Timehri International
Airport in Guyana on board a special Guyana Airways flight.
- As a result, the President who left Guyana on a US Air Force flight for hospitalization in
Washington, will return to Guyana aboard a Boeing 757 proudly bearing the Golden Arrowhead
(Guyana's National Flag).
- The United States Government will hand over the President's body to the Guyanese
delegation, in formal military fashion tomorrow morning.
- A US Military Honor Guard will also deliver a 21 Gun Salute in honor of President Jagan.
- Members of the President's family who were with him in Washington will also be travelling
to Guyana on the special flight.
Cabinet Meets in Solemn Session
- The President's Cabinet met at 5am today in a solemn session in honor of the late President
- To the strain of quiet sobs and restrained emotions, Ministers of the PPP/Civic Government,
stood for a Minute's Silence in a moving tribute to President Jagan, who led the Government
since he acceded to office in 1992 after the first democratic elections in post-independent Guyana.
- The Cabinet reaffirmed unswerving commitment to the ideals of the late President, and
asked that the nation honor his memory with serenity and calm during the official period
of National Mourning.
- Cabinet also pledged to make stronger the bonds of unity and fraternity which existed under Dr. Jagan's
Samuel Hinds Sworn in as Guyana's 4th Executive President
- At 6:00am this morning, Prime Minister Samuel Archibald Anthony Hinds was sworn
in as Executive President of the Republic of Guyana.
- The Oath of Office was administered by Chancellor of the Judiciary,
Justice Cecil Kennard, in the Credentials Room of the Presidential Secretariat.
Present were Speaker of the National Assembly Mr. Derek Jagan (also brother
of the late President), Ministers of the Government, the Chief of Staff of the Guyana
Defence Force and the Commissioner of Police.
- Mr. Hinds was accompanied to the brief but dignified ceremony by his wife and
Guyana's new First Lady, Yvonne Hinds.
- President Hinds, a Chemical Engineer, was born in Mahaicony, East Coast
Demerara on December 27, 1943.