Note: This is an archived topic. It is read-only.
  Guyana News and Information Discussion Forums
  Political Archives
  Indian Indenture Database Project (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 
This topic was originally posted in this forum: Political Discussions
Author Topic:   Indian Indenture Database Project
BK
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 12:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for BK     
MM -- Thanks for that clarification. In this case a Rose is not a Rose

kidmost
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 01:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kidmost   Click Here to Email kidmost     
I have been very busy and trying to make time to get here with information which may be helpful to the Challenge.

National Geographic had an article some time ago entitled : How To Map Your Heritage.

I had made notes of it a while back and had to go dig it up so here goes:

general Websites: USA

National Genealogical Society www.ngsgenealogy.org/ 800-473-0060

Federation of Genealogical Societies www.fgs.org 512-336-2731

Cyndi's List - links to 41,200 sites www.cyndislist.com
www.ancestry.com : search by social security#,Birth,Death,death benefit payment records ( Note if Guyana can create an intergated system they can create CROSS+SEARCH REFERENCE SYSTEM)
www.usgenweb.com
www.switchboard.com ( searches people with same last name)
www.rootsweb ( the worlds oldest internet site of this kind)
www.genealogy.com
www.records.org/sutro.html 415-731-4477
www.familysearch.org 801-240-2331
www.nara.gov/regional/findaids/chirip.html.
(search by cemetries)
www.columbia.cu/libraries/indiv/eastasia
www.acpl.lib.in.us 219-421-1225
www.jewishgen.org www.yad-vashem.org

African Heritage www.ccharity.com 212-491-2200 www.nypl.org/research/sc/sc.html
www.nara.gov (native indian of USA)

For Canada: www.archives.ca 613-996-7458

Australia: www.sinsw.gov.au www.naa.gov.au www.alphalink.com.au/~aigs

Scotland: www.origins.net/GRO www.open.gov.uk/gros/groshome.htm

Holland: www.cbg.nl

Britain: www.visitbritain.com/activities/wtd%2D9.htm
(of course the british had to be complicated)

Hope this is of assistance , I had it for years hoping it would become a reality one day.

Jaya I hope you are pleased with this as it is nearing reality.

If you guys need any verbal information on the Madrasi, since many changed their names,I am trying to get in touch with Lloyd Veeraswammy. Also, Peter Kempadoo may be of great assistance as well as John Rickford- dont where he is but I can find out.

Jansher
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 01:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jansher   Click Here to Email Jansher     
Any word on salary in Guyana?

Nishal where are u?? i sent you emails

kidmost
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 02:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kidmost   Click Here to Email kidmost     
Jansher feel free to email seanb at the email I sant you and he will send same. I will also send him an email asking that he responds directly to your email address ,if thats okay with you.

D2
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 03:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for D2     
quote:
Originally posted by Jansher:

Why donít you set about formalizing a corporate entity to deal with organizational and legal issues before speaking of salary? With out a transparent business strategy for accomplishing these ends you would have a hell of a time raising funds for this project. Remember, it is part of the Guyanese historical legacy and considerations ought to be laid down on how the information would be accessed or available to the public and what would be the corporate products produced from this enterprise. If it is an effort just to convert these things to electronic form that is commendable but that leaves half the work undone.

Further, you will need to speak to some database designers to normalize the data and formulate a strategy to simplify access, storage and maintain data integrity. The data set you posted looks simple but it cannot exist in that flat file format. A simple example would be a data set of county codes, another for ship names etc to flag and minimize errors. From that little flat file you posted I can deduce a minimum of six relationships necessary to store the data and maintain data integrity.

Formalize a working entity, discuss, seek advice, isolate the human and physical resources necessary, estimate of the capitalization that must be in place, and generate the a timeline for completing the task. You have more to worry about than salary at this point; worry about a plan for bringing all of this to fruition and then you will truly be able to know how much you can pay etc.

Jayadevi
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 03:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jayadevi     
quote:
Originally posted by BK:
Mara Man -- is Dr. Rose the son of the late Sir David Rose?

Jaya - which is the source that you got the information on the African indentured servants? I would like to get a copy! thanks

Although I knew from one of the little History books - Emancipation to Emigration by G. Greenwood and S. Hamber (1980 published by Macmillan in England) that movement of Africans in the English Caribbean was common, I had no idea what the average number might have been for Guyana.

Anyway, I got the info. from an article in Guyana Chronicle (May 24, 2001) when they also observed the anniversary (159th) of the first African indentured labourers. Minister Gail Teixeira must have the details if she quoted this number. (See article below) It was also on a cite that mm65 had posted, but I couldn't find the post.

Although I don't have the source and details, somewhere I got the impression that they were mostly from Barbados (I could be wrong here).

Guyana observes African indentureship anniversary today
MINISTER of Culture, Youth and Sports, Ms. Gail Teixeira has said that indentureship helped to frame the diverse culture existing here and has urged students to take time out to explore Guyana's history.

Today, Guyana will be observing the 159th anniversary of the arrival of the first African indentured labourers and some of the artifacts they brought here are on exhibition at the National Museum in the city.

Teixeira made the appeal to students Monday at the opening of the exhibition on the history of indentureship here. The ceremony was held on the lawns of the museum.

Teixeira said the exhibition, the first of its kind, is aimed at highlighting the significant role indentureship played in framing Guyana's history.

"When we look at our culture we think of performing arts.

"When we talk about our culture we are really talking about the way we live as a people - all the things that contribute to our way of live", she said.

She noted that even though the period was short, it brought many peoples to Guyana, creating the "wonderful kaleidoscope" existing now.

Teixeira said each ethnic group brought with them their own musical instruments, food, religion and culture.

One of the problems encountered while organising the exhibition was locating historical records.

The Minister explained that Guyana's records can be found in other countries, including Britain.

She said some 60,000 Portuguese, 240,000 Indians and under 60,000 Africans were brought to Guyana through indentureship.

On May 3 and 5, Guyana celebrated the 165th anniversary of the arrival of the Portuguese indentured labourers and the 162nd anniversary of the arrival of the first Indian indentured labourers, respectively.

Other activities to be held this month include Independence Day celebrations.

As usual activities will start tomorrow night with the flag raising ceremony at the National Park in Georgetown, followed by a band concert at the Botanical Gardens on May 27 and an exhibition at the National Archives.

EDITORIAL
Stabroek News

Jayadevi
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 04:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jayadevi     
quote:
Originally posted by BK:
Mara Man -- is Dr. Rose the son of the late Sir David Rose?

Jaya - which is the source that you got the information on the African indentured servants? I would like to get a copy! thanks

BK, I read it in the Guyana Chronicle (May 24, 2001). It appears they were celebrating the 159th Anniversary. Although I knew that mostly British Caribbean Africans after emancipation had moved around to different places, Cuba, Panama, Jamaica,Trinidad and Guyana, I did not have a sense of the number who might have come from this region to Guyana.

Anyway, the statement (with figures) were made by Minister Gail Teixeira (See below)and the Ministry must therefore have more details if you are interested. Also, mm65 had posted a site that had included the Chronicle/Stabroek news articles.

Also, I have a small history book (Emancipation to Emigration by R. Greenwood and S. Hamber - 1980 England) which indicated that the period of African movement was between 1854-1925, but it does not give an actual number for Guyana or elsewhere.

Guyana observes African indentureship anniversary today
MINISTER of Culture, Youth and Sports, Ms. Gail Teixeira has said that indentureship helped to frame the diverse culture existing here and has urged students to take time out to explore Guyana's history.

Today, Guyana will be observing the 159th anniversary of the arrival of the first African indentured labourers and some of the artifacts they brought here are on exhibition at the National Museum in the city.

Teixeira made the appeal to students Monday at the opening of the exhibition on the history of indentureship here. The ceremony was held on the lawns of the museum.

Teixeira said the exhibition, the first of its kind, is aimed at highlighting the significant role indentureship played in framing Guyana's history.

"When we look at our culture we think of performing arts.

"When we talk about our culture we are really talking about the way we live as a people - all the things that contribute to our way of live", she said.

She noted that even though the period was short, it brought many peoples to Guyana, creating the "wonderful kaleidoscope" existing now.

Teixeira said each ethnic group brought with them their own musical instruments, food, religion and culture.

One of the problems encountered while organising the exhibition was locating historical records.

The Minister explained that Guyana's records can be found in other countries, including Britain.

She said some 60,000 Portuguese, 240,000 Indians and under 60,000 Africans were brought to Guyana through indentureship.

On May 3 and 5, Guyana celebrated the 165th anniversary of the arrival of the Portuguese indentured labourers and the 162nd anniversary of the arrival of the first Indian indentured labourers, respectively.

Other activities to be held this month include Independence Day celebrations.

As usual activities will start tomorrow night with the flag raising ceremony at the National Park in Georgetown, followed by a band concert at the Botanical Gardens on May 27 and an exhibition at the National Archives.

Guyana Chronicle
Editorial

------------------

Jayadevi
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 04:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jayadevi     
quote:
Originally posted by The_Phoenix:
Jaya make that 2 copies.

Phoenix:

How yu do nah ...? Long time no speak...

You see how BK mek me wuk to respond to this post. I had to go and search and I did not even remember the fine skill of making the piece Bold. SO much for my computer skills.

I should check you out on the Social..

------------------

BK
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 04:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for BK     
Jaya - thanks a million.

Jayadevi
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 04:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jayadevi     
Kidmost, bhai, you are definitely resourceful! It looks like the entire world is searching for their ancestral connection.
WOW! When our database is ready, we should also link up with other sites where Indian Indenture listings are for other Caribbean countries - if they have anything.

Imagine, we are now scraping the surface!

Bhai, me luk and luk through some of those sites and how come me nah see me warm and loving Patie and Tata? They came on the ship Ganges around 1913 or 1915.

When I think of it, many Indians have not been inspired to seek. Imagine how many never thought of going to the Archive and check. I only asked a woman list night who lived in GT for many years and their family never thought of it. Imagine our stupidity!Okay, I don't want to bring up PNC days/years now in case someone accuses me of scoring points against them (hehehe).

When I go to Guyana next, I will pay that place a visit. In fact, we should tell more people to do it if they wish. They are probably still in the Dark on this resource.

Bhai.. are the girls in town?

------------------

mm65
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 04:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mm65   Click Here to Email mm65     
Jansher:

On developing the schedule and estimate.

Start with a basic methodology chart to layout the major activities that need to take place and show their inter-relationships (a simple bubble diagram with arrows). You can then apply the number of days you think it will take to complete each major activity based on your resources. This will give you a nice clear picture on how to develop a detailed timeline/schedule for the deliverables.

Seems so far your Major activities from conception to completion are:

1. Establish Contacts and get access to records.

2. Inventory records and make assessment.

3. Develop a plan for converting to electronic format.

4. Develop a plan for the Web page

5. Get estimates for equipment

6. Get estimates for labor

7. Get funding

8. Mobilize

9. Scan and Convert

10. Organize scanned information

11. Create a searchable database

12. Set up the Web Site

13. Print records and bind

14. Launch Web Site.

You can refine this list even further by adding additional Major activities and then breaking them down even further to sub activities.

Of course some activities can be done simultaneously inorder to speed up or fast track the process while others can only take place after others are completed.

You might even find ways of speeding up the process when you are looking at the schedule. You might even be able to pull this off within six months.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by mm65 (edited February 06, 2002).]

Jayadevi
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 04:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jayadevi     
mm, you forgot the last item:

Celebration - with dhal, rice, roti, bhaji, curry something (halal too) and some fresh cane juice or coconut water.

By the way, thanks very much for the snapshot on the other post.

mm65
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 04:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mm65   Click Here to Email mm65     
quote:
Originally posted by Jansher:

Jansher:

I would imagine minimum salary for a competent individual in Guyana would be about $100,000 per month.

mm65
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 04:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mm65   Click Here to Email mm65     
quote:
Originally posted by Jayadevi:
mm, you forgot the last item:

Celebration - with dhal, rice, roti, bhaji, curry something (halal too) and some fresh cane juice or coconut water.

By the way, thanks very much for the snapshot on the other post.

Yes, don't forget some beef curry too and your welcome.

kidmost
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 04:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kidmost   Click Here to Email kidmost     
Jaya you and I been talking about these things since 1997. I had these resource information since early 1990's and was planning on setting up an organization to do the work.
I knew I could not depend on you know who? neither was the Guyana Govt capable to do this back then since they were bogged down with bringing the country out of bankruptcy.
I did not want to ask these self interest academicians who use everything for selfish gains....some of them got Govt appts in Guyana and many others are awaiting Govt appointments.
And low and behold , right here on GNI, there are people who have no selfish interests.
I told you I have absolute belief that indians will one day rise from the ashes and rebuild , stone by stone , the Heritage which once was.
This endeavor by all of you will be a legacy and inspiration to not only indo-guyanese but hopefully you folks will not stop at indo-guyanese, hopefully the same will be done for Africans, Chinese, Portuguese and whoever else was brought there to Guyana.
This will be a great contribution to all Guyanese and Guyana.
All good things happen when good intentions prevail. Guyana can overcome all of it's race politics if only people like you, Jansher and everyone here on GNI keep posting your opinions , thoughs and ideas and spreading your goodwill to al Guyanese.

D2: Setting up an organization is a great idea , and delegating people to tasks of getting up information for estimations of magnitude and costs of task.

May I recommend that an interim organizational structure be set up to gather preliminary information for the launching of the task.

Jansher will need as much assistance as possible since it is a Herculean task.

I must extend my sincere respect to all of you who will make this a reality.

Jayadevi
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 04:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jayadevi     
[QUOTE]Originally posted by D2:
[B] Why donít you set about formalizing a corporate entity to deal with organizational and legal issues before speaking of salary? With out a transparent business strategy for accomplishing these ends you would have a hell of a time raising funds for this project. Remember, it is part of the Guyanese historical legacy and considerations ought to be laid down on how the information would be accessed or available to the public and what would be the corporate products produced from this enterprise....[b]

D2, you have made some very important points. A comprehensive plan with strategic objectives is the ideal. But I think working from overseas and the RUSH to get going on something that is long overdue, is probably the reason for these elements surfacing without a Business Strategy in the making. I am sure Jansher is taking all of this into consideration.

------------------

Jansher
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 06:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jansher   Click Here to Email Jansher     
My idea is that I am hiring a Project manager in Guyana and his job is to give me an expense estimate there and how he will get the job done.

I dont want to create a large organization with layers. A core goup of us will meet soon in nyc. I want to set up a foundation to with sole purpose to raise funds for this project.(non profit

THE SURINAMESE WHO HAVE DONE THIS EXACT PROJECT WILL ADVISE US ON HOW TO STORE THE IMFORMATION AND HOW TO EXECUTE IT.

This is what they suggested to me:

Here are my suggestions.

1) Find a person at the archives of the government in Guyana who wants to
act as a paid project manager in Guyana. You need somebody who will do the
following:
a) organise the technical infrastructure (computers, transport of documents
if the computers are at another location that the physical documents)
b) organise the data-input (people, schedule, data control etc)
2) draw up a project document for funds application and the rest will
follow.

Succes,

Greetings,

Sandew Hira

amrit@bart.nl

Maybe you can contact also the history department of the University of
Guyana. (for instance Tota Mangar or James Rose).
We (Sandew Hira and Maurits Hassankhan) can give you technical assistance.
If UG will join the project it is easier for the University of Suriname to
give assistance, because we have a co-operation agreement between the two
universities.

If I get Rose on board and its seems as though that is very possible they will work with the University of Suriname to replicate the same.

Jayadevi
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 06:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jayadevi     
Jansher, everything sounds good - on the road to a great vision and I am confident of a successful project.

Yes, it's good to have a core group rather than a complex organization. Still, to get the best of the talent and efforts out there, your idea of meeting with your core team in NYC sounds promising.

Your suggestion re: Project Manager is good, however, I don't think a person who is employed by the Archive may be able to function in their regular job as well as being paid to do a project, as this may be a 'conflict of interest.'

It may be advantageous for you to look at a few people's skills and ability and then make your decion. The Archive may even wish to recommend someone.

Overall, I think you are correct to get a Project Manager who can report to you. Once you get all those players on board, you need to establish some structure with periodic updates, etc. as you don't want 'too many cooks' to unintentionally delay the project.

When are you planning to be in Guyana? If all goes well with me, I am thinking of going for only a few days - but not sure when. Any help I can offer,I will try.

kidmost
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 07:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kidmost   Click Here to Email kidmost     
Jansher,let me see what I can dig up and get going.

I will turn as many stones as possible since mutual cooperation by and between UG and Univ of Suriname can make a great difference.

What if UG and US cooperate , will you still require a project manager or will UG appoint one? I am sending out emails to GT , should I give out your email address so they can contact you directly?

Please advise.

The_Phoenix

posted February 06, 2002 08:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for The_Phoenix     
quote:
Originally posted by Jayadevi:
Phoenix:

How yu do nah ...? Long time no speak...

You see how BK mek me wuk to respond to this post. I had to go and search and I did not even remember the fine skill of making the piece Bold. SO much for my computer skills.

I should check you out on the Social..

Thanks for the article.

I was curious about your statement too. So blame both me & BK for putting you to work.

Busy like a bee at work. One of these days you will get a surprise. When last you called my cuz?

Social - not so much fun anymore.

Look at the left hand side when you are replying and click on UBB Code is on - this will help u.

[This message has been edited by The_Phoenix (edited February 06, 2002).]

mm65
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 09:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mm65   Click Here to Email mm65     
Jansher:

This is another wild suggestion, but if the documents need to be transported off site to be scanned, then why not send them along with one project manager to India as a turnkey project. There are many such facilities in India that are more than capable to deliver you the goods and it will work out cheaper since you don't have to deal with purchasing the equipment to scan. The Indians will be familar with the names and the regions whereby you would end up with a far better end product. Also computers, servers and operating systems for the web site could be purchased in India at a far cheaper rate than elsewhere.

Just a thought.

Jansher
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 09:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jansher   Click Here to Email Jansher     
Kidmost:

Please feel free to so so.

These are some ideas for the web site: let me have feedback guys.

THE INDIAN INDENTURED DATABASE PROJECT

This project aims at creating a computer-based database [retrievable on-line and available to archives, academics, libraries and the general public], with personal details of Indian indentured labourers in Guyana from 1838-1916. The project was inspired by the Database of Indians and Javanese immigrants to Suriname created by Maurits Hassankhan and Sandew Hira from the University of Suriname. I have been assured the support of Maurits HassanKhan and Sandew Hira in this endeavour.

Historical databases are important building blocks in the project of excavating, reclaiming and reconstructing the history of peoples whose voices have been virtually silent in the traditional historiography. Most of the traditional historical accounts of "migrating" peoples tend to be depersonalized, alienating and elitist, with many reducing the "migrants" to mere statistics. Personal details on different ethnic groups help in the reconstruction of ethnic identity, assist in sociological analysis, enable genealogical research by descendants into their family background, facilitate the forging of links between "home" and "diaspora" and foster diasporic consciousness.

Digitising archival record is important for three reasons. In the first place, archival data are being made accessible to a general public. Digitising makes it possible to bring the sources to the user instead of the user going to the sources. The internet is an appropriate medium through which to do this. People who do not have access to the internet can make use of the printed edition of the database.

In the second place, by digitising data a shadow archive is being created. If the original sources are lost, there will be another version that can be copied as many times as is needed. Thirdly, digitising data provides the opportunity to preserve existing sources better and for a longer period. The users do not have to use the original documents anymore. So the natural deterioration of archives can be delayed.

This will help descendants of immigrants to retrace the tracks of their ancestors as far back as India. The Historical Database is, of course, important for people who wish to perform genealogy studies. It is important, too, for scientists who intend to analyse the history of immigration, for whom this database has opened up a source of information that will enable them to make new analyses of the Indian contract labour.

MISSION STATEMENT

Their three months ordeal from Calcutta to Guyana beginning in the year 1838 changed the history of Guyana forever. Today their Immigration Records are decaying in the National Archives of Guyana. We will not let history forget the East Indian Indentured Immigrants who migrated to Guyana between 1838-1916. Our mission is to create a database of these records before itís too late. This project aims at creating a computer-based database [retrievable on-line and available to archives, academics, libraries and the general public], with personal details of the immigrants. The stories of these pioneers will be brought to live as we reconstruct their past. This database will help Indo-Guyanese worldwide to retrace the tracks of their ancestors as far back as India.

HISTORY OF THE EAST INDIAN IMMIGRANTS

The abolition of slavery caused serious economic constrains in British Guiana. The shortage of labour led to British importing labourers from Portugal and China which was unsuccessful. A British Parliamentarian, Lord Gladstone had a brilliant idea to import East Indian labourers from British India. And in the year 1838 Indian Indentured labourers began arriving in British Guiana on a five-year contract. Their arrival in Guyana changed the cultural landscape of the country forever. Hinduism and Islam were now part of the landscape. From 1838-1916 close to 300,000 East Indian labourers arrived in the British colony of Guiana. The year 1947 approached and the sub-continent was divided. Indian nationals in Guyana were offered Indian, Pakistani or Guianese nationality. Over 90% choose to make Guyana their permanent home and choose Guianese nationality.

Immigration records indicate that the majority of immigrants who migrated to Guyana came from the Uttar Pradesh and Bihar. Majority of the immigrants came from districts such as, Azamgarh, Gorakpur, Kanpur, Rae Bareilly, Meerut, Moradabad, Lucknow, Fyzabad, Ghazipur, Rampur, Basti, Sultanpur and Gonda. From Bihar many were natives of districts such as Patna, Muzaffarpur, Gaya, Jahanabad, Saran and Aurangabad. Small batches also came from Sind, Multan, the Punjab, the Deccan, Kashmir, and the Northwest Frontier (Afghan areas). From the deep south a handful of immigrants came from Tamil Naidu. Immigration certificates reveals major details of the immigrants. Their origins such as district, villages, age, colour, height, and caste are all indicated. The majority of the Hindus were from the following castes: Ahir, Dhobis, Kurmis, Teli, Chammar, and Keori, while a minority were from the following caste: Khatriyya, Brahman and Thakkur. Under caste Muslims are identified as Musulman, Mosulman, Musulman, Musalman, Sheik Musulman, Mahomedaan, Sheik, Pattian, (Pathan), and Musulman (Pathan). From looking at their district of origin one can tell of their ethnicity, whether they were Sindi, Bihari, Punjabi, Madrasi, Pathan or Kashmiri. There are enormous spelling mistakes on the Immigration Certificates. Musulman, the Urdu world for Muslim is spelled many different ways and sometimes Muslims were referred to as Mahomedaan in the early period of migration. Districts, Police Depot, villages and castes are frequently misspelled.

Jansher
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 09:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jansher   Click Here to Email Jansher     
MM65:

as always you have great advise, however I dont think that they will allow the materials out of the Archives much less to leave outside of the country. You never know, money talks with these people.

To get this done before the documents disappear or the building burns, we have to pay money to get it done.

Kidmost what do you think??

Hello Jaya, thanks for the pep talk

Bk, great suggestions, thanks

Thanks D2, great advise

And Errol in DC will raise funds for us, thanks man

Jansher
Executive Member

posted February 06, 2002 09:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jansher   Click Here to Email Jansher     
Kidmost:

This was advise that I got from the Surinamese when I was exploring the issue months ago. They in fact mention Mr. Rose's name;

"Sandew Hira
amrit@bart.nl
Maybe you can contact also the history department of the University of
Guyana. (for instance Tota Mangar or James Rose).
We (Sandew Hira and Maurits Hassankhan) can give you technical assistance.
If UG will join the project it is easier for the University of Suriname to
give assistance, because we have a co-operation agreement between the two
universities."

For fun things now I am going to the Surinamese Hindustani Archive on line to revisit and reconstruct these great adventurers. Most came from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 

All times are ET (US)

This is an ARCHIVED topic. You may not reply to it!
Hop to:

Contact Us | Guyana News and Information

Advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are not allowed on the Forum.
Read here for further information.

This Forum is owned by Guyana News and Information

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.46

Rules of Use:

In order to guarantee enjoyment for all visitors to our Discussion Forums, we ask that you observe a few simple rules:

Refrain from using foul or abusive language.

Consider before you post whether your message may cause unnecessary upset for any other user.

Respect the religious and political beliefs of others.

You should not post anything which is illegal, in breach of Copyright, defamatory or otherwise unlawful.